Saturday, May 28, 2011

My Inner Critic

“When you have a great and difficult task, something perhaps almost impossible, if you only work a little at a time, every day a little, suddenly the work will finish itself.” ~Isak Dinesen

Inertia: the tendency of an object to resist any change in its motion. Oh how my inner critic works to keep me in a state of inertia when it comes to writing. I'll work on that book/novella, a blog entry even, and my inner critic starts working it over in my mind, saying, "Crap! This is just crap!" 

Someone said writers like to have written; they don't like to write. They'll find any excuse not to face the awful white page that is waiting to be filled. Excuses abound. Having spent the better part of my undergrad and grad school years lamenting the writing process, even though I can't NOT write, I find myself at the other end of both, still lamenting my habit to rewrite as I write and to be over-critical in the process. I write a little. Then I read, re-read, then edit, edit, edit, then write some more, re-read, edit, write....ad nauseam, until I can't stand to read it again. Then I'll send it off to the universe of unknown readers, just so that I can quit rewriting and editing and critiquing. 


My habit worked fairly well in school, working on those papers. At least, I managed to get good grades on any paper I wrote, but my habitual critiquing interrupts the creative process when telling a STORY. Rewriting in the process can be death to creative writing.
Get it written first, then go back and fine tune. Look for those grammar and spelling mistakes AFTER it is written. Find those places that don't work, have holes, need data, and flesh it out after, not during. I have read this repeatedly when reading about creative writing, BUT, how do I turn off the inner critic to get it written first? 


Apparently, Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner, and John Steinbeck all used alcohol excessively when writing. Did alcohol somehow get their creative juices flowing? A perusal of the top ten drunk American writers (see link below) listed only males. What does that say? Anything? It may just be the bias of the writer, but what about Gertrude Stein, Gwendolyn Brooks, Joyce Carol Oats? I have no idea if they used alcohol excessively, let alone when writing. Is the writer saying women don't drink excessively when writing? True or not, it's beside the point. I'm not sure I want to use it as a means to an end, to overcome my inner critic. Curiously, a professor once did recommend it. Nevertheless, the thought of becoming a raging alcoholic just to be a better writer does not appeal. Oh, my mind leans toward exaggeration doesn't it. 


Other writers have mentioned free-writing as a means to get the creative juices flowing. Just write something. Write whatever comes to mind. Doesn't matter what it is. Don't stop to try to create, just write. Someone, can't remember who, said they would free-write for 10-30 minutes before getting started on whatever current project occupied their thoughts. That sounds like sounder advice then getting drunk, although, a little wine wouldn't hurt...still trying to justify a little wine to get the juices flowing. 


Truthfully, this blog serves a purpose along these lines. It's a place I can come and babble, give myself permission to use sentence fragments, not worry too much about the use of contractions, and if I mess up a little grammar now and then, so be it. I do come back and revisit, find mistakes, or add thoughts, but as I say in the heading, it's a work in progress. 


To be sure, my inner voice keeps shouting resist, resist, resist, the temptation to be critical IN THE PROCESS. Let the process flow. Once  I overcome inertia, momentum will carry me. Then I can let the critic in me mercilessly do her work. Writing down the story as it comes to mind, as Denison remarks in the quote above, a little at a time, everyday a little, before I know it, the story will be written. Here's to writing it down...
What about you? Any writers out there? How do YOU overcome your inner critic? 


http://www.alternativereel.com/includes/top-ten/display_review.php?id=00075

3 comments:

  1. Hi Janet,oh my word do I reconize this!That constantly nagging little bugger on my leftshoulder,always criticising while Im still working...How to overcome it?For one thing:does it work if U listen?It usually prompts me in not trying at all,so what is the point in listening to it?It all boils down to fear of failure(well it does in my case)Fail&failbetter!:)And my goodness,U write well,so please,for the sake of your readers,KEEP AT IT.Kophoogtekater was here xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a writer, but as an artist, I can identify. While in college at UNL, I recall English profs saying, "just write it down, edit later".
    That was helpful to me then, but also in later years when I applied this to painting. I find, just get some paint on that blank canvas and I can fine tune later. That thing in my head first needs to get out. Then, with some work, the painting usually evolves and develops from there.
    I teach classical painting. That means traditional painting methods - a wash, blocking in colour, shading,developing form, details and finally highlights. I often refer to the process of writing and editing to my students when describing the execution of a traditional painting.I find both adults and children understand the process easier if I use that comparison. At the end of painting process we stand back from the picture and take a look. How will this impact the viewer and how can we make it better? I imagine you do the same thing, only with words. And as far as the inner critic goes, I only really like about 25% of what I paint..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, I can see how the creative process is the same, thanks for the lesson, and I identify with the 25%.:) Stepping back, in my writing, usually comes when I've left it for awhile and come back. That helps. And to my anonymous friend, who's not really anonymous to me, fear of failure enters in, but maybe perfectionism too. Possibly they are two sides of the same coin? Thanks to both for your comments. xoxo

    ReplyDelete