Saturday, March 19, 2011

Laughter is good

I should record my mother's laughter. I love it when she laughs. There are times when she is watching something particularly funny on television, or in a movie, and I'll hear her laugh and laugh. Today was a good day. Mom went to the beauty shop and liked her "do." We ate breakfast at Village Inn and talked and laughed about silly things. The waitresses and the manager know us and they greeted her, which makes her feel good. There are days when this is not the way of things, but today was a good day. Then I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride, half holding my breath. I reminded her she didn't have to, just if she wanted to, hoping to stop any wild thoughts from creeping in. It was Trader Joe's day; we needed some fresh organic fruits and vegetables and the ride was fun. We chatted like magpies and laughed and laughed. I think the laughter was all the sweeter because it had been such a rotten week for us both, though she doesn't remember the details. It just felt good. I didn't want it to stop, so I came home and after putting everything away, watched a funny movie and laughed some more.

Laughter is such good medicine, it's true.

It seems the days when it is most difficult, those are the days that I tend to write. Writing helps me work through my thoughts, my emotions, they put everything in perspective. It's my way of thinking out loud. It's therapy. Usually, a picture sits there, waiting for my thoughts to catch up to what's going on inside. My brothers and sisters get the rough draft in a HELP! email. Then I wake up in the middle of the night with my thoughts spilling out onto my keyboard. Sharing our journey makes me feel vulnerable for myself and for mom though. Sometimes, I'll dream about it. You know that dream where you walk into the room and you're half-naked?  Shudder.

Yes, Laughter is good. Has laughter helped you on this journey you are on taking care of loved ones or parents? Do you find ways to incorporate humor into your day, if it's hard to find anything humorous in your circumstances? Maybe something you do might help another, share. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment