Friday, July 2, 2010

Somebody's praying

Ruby Mary Ann Gagnebin Fried
At an early age (7 yrs), my grandma died. Her death left "a hole" in my life. She was my comfort. I'd crawl into her lap when darkness created scary shadows on my wall. She'd hold me in her arms as she rocked me to sleep singing softly in my ear. Christmas day, 1955, my dad sat me on his lap as he told me the angels came and took her to heaven.

Since that day, I haven't escaped dark times, when those shadows again stretched across my life and I felt the loss of grandma's physical comfort. Some of the darkness has been because of my own choices, some because of the choices of others, some just because this world is not perfect. Darkness knocked me off my feet as if I were caught by an undertow at the beach. The tumultuous waves sent me thrashing, unable to get my bearings as murky seaweed seemed to entangle itself about my head.  Even when I was thrashing, being assaulted by waves of grief or pain, there was one thing that kept me from succumbing to the waves, and my feet reaching for solid ground. I knew, among others, my grandma was praying for me.

There were also times in my life when it was as if I was allowed to go just so far and no farther down a road that would lead me in a direction I ultimately, in my heart of hearts, did not want to go, because there was a higher calling on my life, beyond the immediate, beyond my own desires. Strong arms captured my heart about the time grandma died and have held onto me ever since, and to that end, I believe my grandma, among others, was praying for me.

I know as long as I'm living in this world dark times will come, when the shadows seem scary and I'll long for grandma's lap, long to hear her singing in my ear, so I can listen to her heartbeat. In the darkness of those times, I'll always know, someone is watching over me, and I'll thank the Lord for my grandma, who, among others, is praying for me.

Somebody's Praying by Ricky Skaggs
Somebody's prayin', I can feel it
Somebody's prayin' for me
Mighty hands are guiding me
To protect me from what I can't see
Lord I believe; Lord I believe
Somebody's prayin' for me.

Angels are watchin', I can feel 'em
Angels are watchin' over me
There's many miles ahead 'til I get home
Still I'm safely kept before your throne
'Cause Lord I believe, Lord I believe
Your angels are watchin' over me.

Well, I've walked through barren wilderness
Where my pillow was a stone
And I've been through the darkest caverns
Where no light had ever shown.
Still I went on 'cause there was someone
Who was down on their knees

Lord. I thank you for those people
Prayin' all this time for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment